Pages

Monday, August 8, 2016

Monthly Favorites: July

Long time no favorite, oops. May and June were crazy with finals and then I traveled all over the place. I feel like I'm just now slowing down and coming up for air. I have lots of things in store, including travel posts and some back to school tips and tricks.

Favorite Memory:

There was so much to love in July, but my favorite was our family trip to Sun Valley, Idaho. I'll be doing a long post specifically on the trip, but one of my favorite nights of the trip was the night we watched the ice show. I've always loved watching skaters and there is something so magical about watching incredibly talented people skate under the stars in such a relaxed setting.

Fashion:


I've been all about blue and white this Summer. These are mostly basics; my travel workhorses. These are quickly becoming some of my most ride or die summer closet staples. 
from left to right:

a) Classic Chambray Shirt Old Navy : I love this shirt. It's so soft and it fits perfectly. I've worn it with pants, shorts, skirts, over dresses, under sweaters, buttoned up, open and tied. I will not travel without it. It's my perfect shirt; classic color, flat pockets, and real buttons. I'm considering buying a second one; just in case :) I found my medium color in stores, but it comes in two other washes online.

b) Patterned Shorts gap outlet (old): These are old, but they've been in heavy rotation this month. It's been so hot and the thin material is really comfortable. These are almost two years old, but I found some similar options here, here, here, here.

c) Denim Shorts gap: These are the shorts version of the chambray. They fit perfect; not too short but not too long. They are a wonderful mid-tone blue and they don't have the awkward waist gap I normally get with my pants. These are last season, so the name is different, but the fit of these and these (if white is more your style) seems to be the same. 

d) Patterned Dress nordstrom rack: this dress is so flattering and fun to wear. It's casual and light enough to wear with sandals but also dresses up with a pair of heels like a charm (And has pockets!!). The neckline is a little higher than I'm normally drawn to, but it's super flattering and I've already bought another dress with a similar cut. My favorite way to style it has been with a pair of summery wedges and a simple set of hoops. You can find it here, on sale!

Beauty: 


Makeup:

   Summer is here and it's glowy makeup time. Cream blush is my favorite, because it blends beautifully and doesn't highlight my dry patches. This Color Lift Blush from L'Oreal in rose gold is the perfect natural flush color with just a hint of golden shimmer. I love that takes care of two steps as well! (I've been using this Real Techniques Expert Face Brush to apply, but it blends well with fingers too)

   Lip products are my favorite thing and I'm loving the mauvey shades that are in this season. This
Maybelline Lipstick, in touch of spice, is an old favorite that I recently rediscovered. It's matte, but I like to sheer it out over a balm for every day wear. The gloss is the new Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor, in kisses. First off it smells amazing. Second, I love the formulation; it's creamy, easy to apply, and doesn't make my lips dry. That being said, this formula is not matte whatsoever, so heads up. It's a gorgeous berry mauve color, especially after blotting. I'm in love with it.

Skincare:

   I've been using this Clinique moisture surge gel-creme for almost a year now but it has really proved it's worth this month. My skin usually freaks out when I travel, but this stuff has been my saving grace despite six very different climates and way too many hours logged in airplanes and my car. It's a light gel texture, which is great for summer, while also being super hydrating. I've been using it at night and again in the morning under my makeup. If my skin could pick favorites, this little jar would be #1. 

   I finished my old face mask this month and went on the hunt for a new one. I saw Julia (Gal Meets Glam) snap herself (and her husband!) using this new L'Oreal Pure Clay mask line and figured it was worth a try. I've been using the red one, which is for exfoliating and refining pores, but I'm really interested in the detox and brighten black one too. I'm really enjoying this mask. It's gentle enough for my incredibly sensitive skin and seems to be doing it's job. 

   Can we be real about sunblock? I hate it. I hate the sticky feeling of putting it on and the greasy layer that sits on my skin afterwards. It always, without fail, sets off an eczema reaction.  But I'm also a pale, pale person that will burn to a crisp without any protection. While I was in San Francisco, I picked up this Hawaiian Tropic sunblock in desperation because my shoulders were burning during our tourist day. It has surprised me so much! It is a lotion sunscreen, so it doesn't actually feel like sunscreen at all. It absorbs, making the thick grease layer a thing of the past. My skin seems to actually be enjoying it, and it has yet to sting upon application. It claims waterproof for 80 minutes, but I have yet to really test it all the way. 




What did you love last month? 

No comments:

Post a Comment