Pages

Friday, September 2, 2016

DIY Sugar Scrub and Bath Soaks




Happy Friday Lovelies! 

I don't know how many of you are back to school, but I just finished my first full week of my last semester (there cannot be enough exclamation points after this) and I'm enjoying getting into my new routine. I don't know about you, but the fresh organization is my favorite part of a new school year. 

The best part of my final semester is being able to take interesting classes, not just requirement fulfillers. I'm a history major, so I'll spare you the classes I'm totally nerding out over, but just know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! 

It's also been my first week back commuting and I did not miss it. How are there so many people in Orange County? Needless to say, I'm ready for a pamper night. 

I thought I would share my favorite DIY pamper night recipes with you in case you were feeling the need too! These are easy, super gentle, and geared towards moisturizing tired skin. I guarantee you have the ingredients for at least one of these recipes already. Bonus: they're kind to the college girl's budget! 





Honey Sugar Scrub

I've been using this scrub for years. It's super easy to make and full of gentle and healing ingredients. The sugar exfoliates and the honey moisturizes perfectly and is even safe to use on your face! (I promise the EVOO will not break you out.) With a gentle hand, I can even use it on eczema patches!
Around the holidays, I will often mix up a batch and put it in a pretty jar as a gift.


1 cup sugar- brown or white, although white is softer
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tablespoons All Natural Honey

*the higher quality your ingredients, the better the benefits*

Step 1: measure the sugar into a bowl.
Step 2: measure in the oil and honey. (Oil first, then honey. That way, the oil greases up the measuring spoon and the honey slides out super easy)
Step 3:  Mix with a spoon and store at room temp in a covered container for up to 30 days.

See? I told you it was really easy.

Sometimes I will add a drop or two of essential oil* for a batch just for my body, but it's totally not necessary (I repeat, do not use these on your face)

for relaxing: two drops lavender.
or a drop of lavender and a drop of rosemary. 
for invigorating in the morning: a drop of peppermint and a drop of lemon
or a drop of peppermint and a drop of tea tree
or a two drops of a citrus blend 


Bath Soaks

Now that you have an awesome scrub, lets address the bathtub. I love taking baths but most of the bath products on shelves don't love my super sensitive skin. Enter the DIY bath soak. These recipes are not only kind to my skin, they care for my skin (rashes and dry patches included).

The base to all of these recipes is Epsom salt. If you haven't used Epsom salt, I highly suggest you pick up a bag the next time you go to the store. An Epsom soak helps to soothe sore muscles, draws out toxins and leaves you relaxed with really smooth skin. I've been taking Epsom salt baths for my eczema for ages and it's one of my favorite treatments.

Plain Epsom Salts are great, but I also love Dr. Teal's lavender version. Feel free to experiment and see what works best for you.

Epsom Salt Soak
Two cups Epsom Salt in your bath.

Detox Bath
One Cup Epsom Salt and a 1/2 cup Baking Soda. This is a great one to use the scrub after, but make sure to drink lots of cold water. I usually fall into bed for a solid 8 hours after one of these.

Milk Bath (for hydration) : 
Two cups Epsom Salt and 1 cup powered (or regular) milk. The higher the fat content the better. I would highly recommend lavender salts for this bath, since the milk can smell strongly. If you want to channel your inner Cleopatra, 1/4 cup of honey is a good addition too. I usually dissolve it in a bowl of hot water before adding it to my bath.

Oatmeal Bath (for soothing irritated skin): 
Fill up a light colored (anything dark bleeds)  nylon with plain oatmeal and tie it off and add to your bath.  I like to  hang it from the faucet while my bath fills, so the water runs through the oatmeal. Add 1 cup of Epsom salts and if you're super dry, 1/2 cup of milk.


Happy Pamper Night!



I hope you all have a great holiday weekend! Let me know if you try any of these out and which one is your favorite!

My favorite way to get in touch is through Instagram. You can follow me @jessica.nicole.blog!




 *It is really important that the oils are food grade and certified (I use Young Living) to make sure they are safe for application.*

3 comments:

  1. REally great post! Have an nice day:)

    irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Irene! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these! Every winter I look for new bath scrubs and I definitely want to try this one! :)

    ReplyDelete